A short guide to types of coworking spaces
Whether you’re starting a business or looking for office space to help your employees work more flexibly, coworking spaces could be a great option for you. From open, shared workspaces to serviced offices in central locations, coworking spaces offer an alternative to more traditional office space, and there are several types to choose from. Here is a quick guide to some of the most popular types of coworking spaces to help you find your ideal workspace.
What are coworking spaces?
Although the exact design of coworking spaces may differ from location to location, these flexible spaces are essentially open work environments where colleagues from lots of different departments, or even other businesses, can work together collaboratively.
You may think these spaces are only for small businesses or entrepreneurs, but big corporations are now starting to choose them too. As demand rises, the number of coworking spaces around the world is set to grow exponentially over the next few years, with businesses looking for on-demand collaborative workspace.
The benefits of coworking spaces include:
- Greater networking and collaboration opportunities for both small and large businesses.
- Shared office equipment and supplies, which means businesses don’t have to invest their own capital upfront.
- Access to facilities such as meeting rooms, including open brainstorming spaces and conference rooms in some locations.
- Membership flexibility, so businesses can scale their packages depending on needs and growth.
What is hot desking?
Hot desking has been a popular option among entrepreneurs and freelancers for some time, with businesses more recently embracing the trend. Rather than having a fixed workstation, hot desking enables you to move from one part of the office to another each day. This means you get to meet and work alongside lots of new people in one office. Plus, you’ll always be able to find the perfect setting to work in, whether you need some peace and quiet or a space to collaborate with others.
Other benefits of hot desking include:
- Improved performance and wellbeing thanks to a higher level of mobility and collaboration between colleagues.
- Better focus and productivity, as workers change desks daily and therefore can’t build up piles of paper or other distracting objects on their desks.
Are shared offices coworking spaces?
Shared office spaces are similar to coworking spaces. These flexible, open-plan offices offer a range of facilities and equipment that every member can use. These amenities can include everything from office furniture to meeting rooms and video conferencing setups, all of which are included in our membership packages.
Shared offices are ideal for businesses that:
- Are growing and looking to make connections with other freelancers, entrepreneurs or businesses.
- Can’t make the investment in office equipment upfront but want access to high-quality facilities.
- Want the flexibility to upgrade and adjust their membership in line with their needs.
What should you consider when choosing a coworking space?
If you’re planning on setting up a small business office or moving from your serviced office to a more flexible option, then it’s worth considering coworking spaces. As you take a look around, ask yourself these questions:
- Will all your employees have enough space? Not having enough workstations for your team can cause friction rather than collaboration, so make sure you’ll have enough space for everyone.
- What facilities can the space offer? If you need meeting rooms, office supplies or equipment, it’s worth checking they are included in your coworking space membership.
- Where is the office located? Consider whether the space is easily accessible to all team members and what other businesses are located there. For example, if you have a tech business, you might want to share space with organisations in the same industry.
At Regus, our friendly team can help you explore all our packages, options and workspace solutions, enabling you to make the best decision for your business.
Finding your ideal coworking space
Aside from our hot desking memberships, Regus offers numerous coworking spaces that provide members with high-quality facilities in central locations across the world, and available on-demand. With lots of flexible packages available, our shared workspaces can offer your team the tools they need to stay productive and help your business grow.